We love to embrace all things scary at Halloween, but one think we don't want to freak out too much is our hormones (they're enough of a rollercoaster as they are!).
We spoke to our go-to coach for all things hormones and nutrition, Renata Trebing, who shared with us this insanely delicious recipe for Dark Chocolate Tahini Witches' Hats (just the sound of them makes us want to dance around a cauldron and shove them into our mouths!).
Easy to make, they're gluten-free, low-sugar, and chock-full of hormone-loving ingredients brimming with antioxidants and minerals to support your menstrual cycle. Plus, other people in your household are sure to love them too!
Makes 12 cookies
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup monkfruit sweetener
- 1.5 tbsp dark cocoa powder
- 1-2 tbsp almond flour, optional
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 12 dark chocolate Hershey kisses
- 2 tbsp Halloween themed sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350 deg F.
- Place a non-stick mat on a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, add the tahini, monkfruit sweetener, dark cocoa powder, salt, and the egg. Mix together until a soft ball of dough forms. If your dough does not stay together when pressed between your fingers, add 1 tbsp of almond flour, mix and test again. If needed, add another tbsp of almond flour, mix well, and test to ensure that dough stays together when pressed between fingers.
- Take a 1 tbsp measuring spoon and scoop out tablespoons of the dough. Roll the dough into a ball in your hands then place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Gently press down on each ball of dough, creating a disc shape about 1” thick.
- Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for 10-15 mins, till the cookies are slightly firm to the touch but not hard.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow to cook for about 3-5 mins.
- For each cookie, gently press a Hershey’s Kiss into the center of the cookie. The warmth of the cookie will start to melt the bottom of the Hershey’s Kiss. Carefully press down on the Hershey’s Kiss as this happens, allowing some of the molten chocolate to seep up between the Hershey’s Kiss and the cookie (note from Fri Period: this is the most delicious sentence we've ever read!). Sprinkle some of the Halloween themed sprinkles onto the molten chocolate. Repeat this for all cookies.
- Allow all the cookies to cool completely before storing in an airtight container (or gobbling them up in one fell swoop if you're anything like us)!
Note: be sure to cool the cookies before adding the Hershey’s Kiss. If the cookie is too hot, it will melt the chocolate completely leaving a puddle of chocolate instead of a pointed Witches Hat-type shape. It will still taste delicious though!
Let us know how you get on, and if you end up making these cookies, share a photo on socials and tag @friperiod - it would make our witchy day!